Thursday, May 7, 2009

The Vacancy

Yesterday marked the one month anniversary of my new job. I am happy to report that all is well. I'm learning all kinds of things about pregnancy, labor, and breastfeeding (some things pleasant, some things not so pleasant). I'm finally feeling some confidence when I go in by myself to meet with a patient. It's a good job. Can't complain.

As you all know, what can make or break a job is who you work with. Imagine my happiness when I met Julie, a nurse who I would be working closely with. Julie is one of the kindest people I've ever known. I adore her. I worked with her for three weeks and then she was transferred out to another clinic. I was devastated. I have to work on finding a new buddy (I have my eye on a nurse practitioner who works downstairs).

Sad as I was that Julie left, some good came of it--I became Dr. Poncher's new dance partner. Now Dr. Poncher is a pediatrician who walked right out of a family film: white hair, soft voice, stooped posture, has been a pediatrician for a billion years. But don't let this fool you my friends, Dr. Poncher is an avid Latin dancer. Dr. Poncher can't get enough Salsa and Meringue dancing. He used to pull Julie into his office during his breaks and dance with her. I was always jealous. But now I have been selected to fill this vacancy. I can't tell you the delight it is to steal ten minutes here and there to dance with the pediatician. People stand around to watch and giggle. It makes work fun. Oh, and by the way, Dr. Poncher says I'm a natural. Who knew?

4 comments:

mrs. farlanderz said...

sounds like an amazing pediatrician! what a fun office, that really does make all the difference -

I can't wait to try that granola bar recipe you posted a while back.

cheers

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

Happy Birthday!!!

jenica said...

happy birthday lovely!

i'll be sending new-work-friend vibes your way. but how fun to have a salsa dancing ped to work for.

xoxo

Laura Barnett said...

I'm so glad you're loving your job. Sounds like a fun place to be! I hope you had a great birthday! I'm sad you can't make it down for Kellen's homecoming. You'll be missed!!