Thursday, January 15, 2009

Anne with an "e"

Being alone in my apartment day after day can get pretty boring. While I go about doing the final touches of getting everything unpacked, cleaning, making dinner, etc. I like to have some background noise (to drown out the sounds of toilets flushing in the apartment above and baby crying next door). I have to admit that I have put on the Anne of Green Gables series countless times to listen to while I am around and about. I have the first two installments of the mini-series on DVD (I didn't care too much for the third--what was up with Anne's deep voice?) and no matter how many times I've watched it, I just can't get enough. I can pop in a DVD at any moment in the story and just watch from wherever--it doesn't matter; I love it all. I even got a little teary eyed yesterday when Matthew dies and tells Anne that he never wanted a boy and that he just wanted her "from day one." I watched in anticipation to see if Captain Harris will allow Emiline to be in the KLC play; I also get excited every time Anne realizes that she loves Gilbert and goes to him on his sick bed to tell him. I also can't get enough of the overly dramatic Anne lines like "this is a wound from which I will never heal", and "plum puffs cannot minister to a mind diseased." They're so hilarous and so Anne. I'm glad she is there to keep me company.

4 comments:

The Jungle Explorer said...

Anne really is the best and if you have to watch something you might as well watch the first 2 Anne movies. (I don't know what they were thinking with the 3rd.)

I think you'll like Spokane once all the snow melts and the sun is up for more than 6 hours. It's really beautiful the rest of the year. My sister has lived there since I was like 4 so I've visited a ton. And, who knows, I may end up living there in 5 months.

Found you on the Provo High blog and wanted to say hi.

Ashley (Alexander)
http://www.jensen-jungle.blogspot.com/

Laura said...

I love anne! Those movies remind me of my childhood. We watched them a lot growing up and I even started the books once. (I never made it past the first on though!) Gilmore girls is my go to for background noise. I could watch that show over and over and never get tired of it. I really need to purchase every season. It never fails to make me feel good.

Lindsay said...

Oh, Anne. How can you not love her? I'd love to someday add these movies to my little collection. I tried -- with very little success, unfortunately -- to track down copies from our library. Apparently the Brooklyn Public Library does not fully and appropriately appreciate Anne, else I'm sure I would have been able to eventually check out a working copy.

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

What's the most horrible about the third is that it has nothing to do with the plot of any of the books! I wish Megan Follows and Jonathan Crombie had refused to do it until they wrote a better script!