Tuesday, November 18, 2008

He Did It! and Thanksgiving Traditions




He did it! Kameron officially accepted a position as a pediatric occupational therapist on Monday. I'm so proud of him! He doesn't have a start date yet but we're assuming we'll be in Spokane around the first of the year. Another bonus is that the hospital he is working for is going to pay for movers--this means we don't have to drive a moving van across the country in the dead of winter--Hooray! We still have a lot of plans to make, but big factor #1 is now out of the way. We're excited to go back west--which brings me to the Thanksgiving traditions segment of this blog:

So at the lunch table today my co-workers and I were talking about what we were planning to bring to the office Thanksgiving potluck. I mentioned I was thinking about bringing rolls. They all got this wierd look on their faces and asked, "you actually make rolls?" "Yes," I answered, "don't you?" Not only had no one eaten or made homemade rolls (and neither had their mothers or grandmothers), they seemed to think that the rolls that come out of a can are just as good. Are you kidding me? And then they all thought I was bizarre because I have never eaten green bean casserole at Thanksgiving. I had never even heard of a green bean casserole until today. I had no idea a Utah Thanksgiving would be so much different than a Missouri Thanksgiving. I think I'm definitely bringing rolls to the potluck--just to show them all what they're missing. They can keep their green bean casserole.

7 comments:

Jandi said...

Hey cousins! Just catching up you guys a little! I was reading your goodbye post and it brought back so many emotions of when we had to leave Nebraska. As much as we didn't want to move away from family, I think I didn't want to leave Nebraska more. Living away is such a wonderful experience. You're able to define your marriage and relationship and even yourself. We had so many great experiences, but it is nice to be close to family. I feel your pain, and your joy! :)

Lindsay said...

Congratulations on the new job! That's fantastic!

Also, I can understand no one at your lunch table ever having made homemade rolls, but they'd never eaten them either? That is crazy! They are not even difficult to make (as I just recently found out...) Mmmmm...homemade rolls.....yumm....

Myra Bybee said...

Congrats on the job that is exciting! And who are these people? They are going to die when they taste your homemade rolls.

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

Okay, I am a die hard huge city girl, raised by a man, with no mother, who refuses to cook and I've had homemade rolls on a regular basis. And what in the world is green bean casserole? Green beans, I'm guessing, but what else? I found out that Inigo Montonya was Mandy Patinkin's favorite role (he's a native Chicagoan from Hyde Park by the way - go my hood!. He and Cary Elwes learned to fence right and left-handed in real life and did all the stunts themselves, except the somersaults. It is so on my top movies now. D is going to sit down and watch the moment I get to NYC. I adore Stardust and I think no0w it and Stardust are an official Grigsby-Princip household double-feature.

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

P.S. Looking at a list of famous Hyde Parkers, including everyone's current fave/least fave President-elect Obama, I saw that Wikipedia has an article on my Choir! I will show you pics of la petite fille Nikita in her red blazer during "the nose phase" (aka my awkward phase).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicago_children%27s_choir

Go Hyde Park! Go Logan!

P.S. What is Hogi Yogi?

jenica said...

wow! congrats!

and yes you should def take rolls. who are these people? maybe that's what's wrong with society these days, not enough homebaked goods!

xoxo

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

Found out from Rachel what green bean casserole is: green beans, those fried onions on top, almonds and some type of cream soup (cream of mushroom, cream of celery, etc.) as a base. But she is also surprised about the never having homemade rolls.

Rach is interested in your vegetarian recipes. Are you going to start an archive?