Friday, February 27, 2009

Waiting to Join the World


I am one of those people who hardly ever gets sick--but when I do, watch-out because it gets pretty ugly. For the past three Februarys I've gotten the same bizarre sickness. It starts out as a normal sickness--a cold, fever, etc. which lasts about a day or two, but after the icky feelings are gone, I get a lasting period of dizziness accompanied by other bizarre symptoms (seriously, I should consult Dr. House). I get so weak and dizzy that I am glued to my couch watching television for about a week. I first got it while living in St. Louis and thought that I just caught a weird virus because I was in a new state. New state, new disease (my dad called my sickess a WMD--Weird Missouri Disease. He has a fondess for random acronyms). Apparently they have the same weird diseases in Washington because here I am in day five of my annual ailing. Since I have really not done much but be attached to my couch for the last few days I feel strangely detached from the rest of the world. I usually have no concept of what day it is, what time it is, or what I normally would be doing. My only task is to rest and watch the tube (I watched Pride and Prejudice for about the millionth time today--the new one--I adored it. I wished I had the seven hour BBC version on DVD--heaven knows I have the time to watch it). I briefly left my house yesterday to teach a meatless cooking class for church. The class must have been meant to be because I felt well enough to teach it without my head being in a cloud--although I went right back to being sick when I got home (Amanda, you must be being extra good lately). So if you've been wondering where I am. I am on my couch. Waiting to rejoin the world.

3 comments:

Laura Barnett said...

I'm so sorry! I hope you get better soon. I thought we were in the clear for winter illness since it's been warming up a little, until last week when both kids came down with colds. I think they're almost over it though- thank goodness! Hopefully you're almost over yours too. :)

Erin Bigler said...

Hey Em, sorry you're not feeling well. Made your korma tonight--great recipe. Thanks! Have you ever used any of Madhur Jaffrey's Indian cookbooks? They are AMAZING!!!! Check 'em out. :)

Katie said...

Bummer! Same thing happens to me every year at the end of February beginning of March! It's the only time of year I'm ever sick!