I was excited when WinCo grocery store opened in Spokane. I have been whining about expensive groceries since we got here (and I refuse to shop at Wal-Mart--not a fan of the company) and WinCo seemed like it would be a great alternative. So I went at 2:00 p.m. on a Thursday afternoon, figuring it would not be a very busy time. Whoa Nelly, was I wrong. I pulled into WinCo's ginormous parking lot which was completely full. I had to drive a few minutes before I finally found a parking spot way out in the boonies. Then I found that there were no shopping carts available. Anywhere. People are stalking customers who have just left the store and waiting for them to load their groceries so they can take their cart. I thought: What am I getting myself into? Then I fight the crowds, cartless, just to get to the door where a sales associate tells me that the check-out line wait is currently an hour. I decided I'd try WinCo another time.I went back to WinCo this morning--hoping I was early enough to beat the crowds. The place was still insane, but I got a decent parking spot and a cart without hustling other customers. I have to admit I liked the store. The produce department was surprisingly good and they even had a decent selection of organic products and bulk foods. And they were cheap. And I mean cheap. I felt almost giddy inside--I have to say almost because shopping there was still quite stressful. The place was so crowded I felt I had to find what I wanted as fast as I could and move on because there was always someone right behind me. I felt I would get trampled on if I stopped to read a label. Sometimes I just had to smile at the insanity of the whole situation. On the plus side, the check-out line wasn't too long and the cashier was turbo-fast.
I'm hoping that WinCo is so busy because it just opened and that it will eventually calm down a little. I'm really hoping because I thought WinCo was a great store--when I wasn't getting trampled on.
7 comments:
holy-cow!! That's craziness. I've never heard of WinCo. I hope the traffic inside calms down soon! Stalking people for carts and hour long lines?! Scary. Is everything extra expensive in Spokane? Good luck with the grocery shopping!
you're too cute! it sounds a little like the grand opening of harmons in daybreak. good niiiight!
xoxo
You do what you gotta for good deals on groceries, right? :) I'm glad you have a place to go for cheap food -- everyone needs a place like that.
I almost hyperventilated just reading this. I hate crowds!!
I could not even imagine doing that with kids. Crowds and rushing is meant for those who can travel solo. Who wants to shop like its Christmas all the time?
Hooray for cheap food! My in-laws bought us our first year supply at WinCo when we got married, and we've been stocking up on their canned goods ever since. We don't have one here, but every time I drive home, I fill up our minivan with corn and green beans. Seriously--I've bussed WinCo cans across the country more than 4 times now. Tough break about the crowds, hope the fervor dies down a bit.
PS. Glad you liked my waffles. :)
You're so brave! I have yet to attempt that crowd. I've heard that have some unbelievable deals and sounds like I'll have to give it a shot. Apparently they are open 24 hours a day and the best times are at 7am or midnight.
Post a Comment