Sunday, August 15, 2010

A New Kind of Room

There is a new kind of room in the house.  It has two cribs, two car seats, a rocking chair, and a stuffed monkey.  Now don't get too excited, we don't have any adoption plans, but we are expanding our horizons just a little more.  On Friday we had our final home inspection to license for the foster to adopt program.  If you read my post about how intensive the application was for LDS Family Services, take that and times it by three if you want to know what it is like applying to be foster parents.  In addition to the interviews, background checks, etc., Spokane County is especially concerned with your house.  They want you to have beds,car seats, clothing, blankets, etc.  I went to 27 hours worth of training plus a two day CPR certification.  I had to have my external medicines separated from my internal medicines and locked in a box.  I had to have a bath mat and a list of emergency numbers on my fridge.  I had to own a one way CPR mask and have child proof locks on my cleaning cabinet and special cords on my blinds.  I'm telling you--no child is going to have a preventable accident in this house!

We licensed for two children ages 0-2.  The reason we agreed to license for two was so that we could keep siblings together if the situation arose.  I was really nervous to start buying baby supplies. I thought it would be emotional and difficult.  I thought it would be difficult to have an empty nursery in our home.  I thought wrong.

Shopping for baby/toddler clothes was awesome.  My task was to buy clothing for both genders ages 0-2.  Not an easy task.  I've been frequenting my neighborhood child clothing consignment shop--I went a little crazy with the adorable 0-3 month clothes--they're so little! I ended up having to trade them for some older clothing.  I found that little jeans can be just as cute as a newborn onesie.  I've been shopping off Craig's List for cribs, crib mattresses, car seats, high chairs, etc.  It's like a game to see what kind of good deals I can get.

Then has come the task of visiting daycares.  With the foster-to-adopt program there is no guarantee that the children placed in our home will be available for adoption--it is just likely.  So instead of quitting my job as soon as we get a placement and then have the child leave three months later...I'll hold onto my job for awhile longer.  So for now, until we know we will be able to adopt, we'll take advantage of the state paying for daycare.  I feel incredibly guilty just touring daycares.  I always pictured I would stay home and take care of children.  But right now I feel at peace with this plan.

So the room is ready, the background checks are done, the endless training is over...now we are just waiting for our license to go through and then we wait for a placement.  I can't think about it too much or I get a little freaked out--okay--a lot a bit freaked out.  I wish I knew what was going to happen.  I wish I could go to sleep tonight and God would give me a vision of what the next year of my life was going to look like.  But because that is super unlikely, I guess I'll just have to wait it out.  So for now I'm studying What to Expect the Toddler Years, and the American Pediatric Society's Baby's First Year trying to figure out how to take care of a child...

Oh, and did anyone see Inception?  I'm pretty much in love with it.

12 comments:

mrs. farlanderz said...

WOWZA! first off, just realized by reading this my 'childproofing' job around the house needs some work...
second, this is so amazing emily. these kids are going to come into such a loving and prepared home. you know I remember a conference talk last session that talked about the influence of small children feeling the spirit frequently in their life and how they will remember that feeling when they are older. missionary work with the little babes.
if you want some baby book suggestions just let me know, I read way too many books about parenting (which trust me, can be good and bad).
and inception...it was ok.
hahahahahahah! j/k of course it was phenomenal!

Erin Bigler said...

Congratulations Em! You know how strongly I feel about fost-adoptions and I admire you too for being willing to take on siblings! The world needs more good people like you and Cameron.

You didn't ask for it, but danged if I'm not going to offer this piece of advice anyway--if you want a good "how to raise a kid" guide book, I strongly recommend, nay, ONLY recommend "Nurture Shock" by Po Bronson & Ashley Merryman. It's not geared specifically toward infants and toddlers like the two you're reading now are, but I really think you'll find that a lot of what you need to do with babies is very common sense. The stuff that isn't? You can find it in Nurture Shock!

Good luck. Can't wait to hear about what happens next!

Katie said...

Wow, Emily! What a big leap into a great and wonderful thing! Sounds like you're super prepared. Seriously - you guys are amazing!

Lindsay said...

Wow, indeed! And how exciting! You've obviously put a lot of work into this, and I so hope you get to be a mother soon. Love you, dear!

Laura said...

I'm so excited for you!! That was a LOT of work. You're going to be waaay more prepared than most first time moms! Any kid that enters your home is going to be so loved and well taken care of. I can't wait to hear more. :) I'm glad you're enjoying the process. You should- getting ready for a baby is exciting.

Laura

Jenny said...

awesome awesome awesome! I'm so excited for you guys. Good luck -- and I can't wait to hear more. Waiting can be a killer can't it? But I feel like when you are on the right course, it just feels good. So, yippee for you guys! Maybe from family of 2 to 4 within days! Crazy. AND, I see you're reading "The Help." LOVED it:)

Heather said...

So exciting! I hadn't checked your blog for awhile, but I am so glad I did today. I am super excited for you. The children that will be placed with you are exceptionally blessed. I cannot believe all the work you've had to do. You are a pro already. Good luck with everything. I'm excited to see what happens next for you!!

Ducksoup said...

wow emily! you guys are amazing. i am just in awe at your diligence and all the work you've gone through to be foster parents. how lucky the kids will be to be placed in your home. way to go!!

Anonymous said...

Emily, you amaze me. I will be sending good thoughts your way.

Brian and Hillary said...

This is great to hear. I hope that all this works out for you 2. It is great to have little ones around and to love. You are definitely a prepared woman. More prepared then me. I can't to hear more. What does your family think?

Good luck with your new adventures.

Hillary

Rebecca said...

That is such exciting news!! I am so happy for you. A couple in our ward did this and ended up with 3 siblings who are now officially their own!! Try not to worry too much, you'll be such a wonderful mother!

jenica said...

such great news, can't wait to hear more. you guys are awesome.
xoxo