Wednesday, October 7, 2009

FAQ



It's officially been one year since I ditched the meat and donned the title, "vegetarian." When the beans are spilled that I am the "v-word" (I don't like to flaunt it) there are a series of questions I am routinely asked. So just in case you had some questions too, I present to you:
Emily's 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions--Vegetarian Edition
1. Q: How long have you been a vegetarian?
A: It's been a year! It's sound so much cooler than, "just a couple of months."
2. Q: Do you miss meat?
A: No. I do occasionaly get a hankering for shrimp though.
3. Q: How strict of a vegetarian are you?
A: I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian. I eat milk and egg products.
4. Q: How in the world do you get your ______? (Insert various mineral, vitamin, omega--whatever number, protein, etc.)
A: I get what I need by eating a variety of vegetables, beans, fruit, grains, etc. I get the "animal only" essentials by eating dairy products.
5. Q: Poor Kameron. (I know, not really a question. But a common reaction nonetheless)
A: Kameron is actually a vegetarian woman's dream husband. He eats what I make and never complains. I don't make him seperate meat dishes because he never asks for them. He will eat meat when we go out to a restraunt or at someone else's home. He sometimes calls himself a "flexatarian."
6. Q: Do you eat tofu? (And remember to say tofu like it is the most vile substance ever imagined)
A: Yes. Often. And I like it.
7. Q: How do you feel?
A: Fabulous! I have a lot of energy. I lost about ten pounds without trying. I don't have to shred chicken or trim fat off of beef anymore. I feel great.
8. Q: Why did you become a vegetarian?
A: Simple question, long answer. I have been interested in eating healthy food for as long as I can remember (which I attribute to my mother who is interested in the same thing). I went to a church activity about five years ago where a dietician came and spoke to us about the health benefits of cutting back the amount of meat you eat. I cut our meat intake back to about twice a week. As I gathered more meatless recipes I cut it back to about once a week.
About a year and a half ago I read Michael Pollan's book, The Omnivore's Dilema. Pollan is not a vegetarian but he discussed in his book the health and environmental benefits of cutting back meat intake as well as encouraging better treatment of animals. I cut our meat intake back to about once every two weeks. Once it was that low, I figured I'd just go for it.
9. Q: Isn't it expensive to buy all that "health food"?
A: Although there are a few items I need to pick up at a health food store (like tempeh and quinoa), I can buy what I need at the regular grocery store. Vegetables, beans, pasta, rice, fruit, nuts, lentils....it's all there. I haven't seen a big change in my grocery bill. Unfortunately fruits and vegetables can get a little expensive (which is one of my soap boxes that I will spare you). Bean and lentils are dirt cheap.
10. Q: Do you think you'll ever go back to being a carnivore?
A: It honestly has never crossed my mind. The only downsides to being a vegetarian are having a very small selection of food to eat at restraunts and having to tell people who invite you over to dinner that you are a vegetarian. I hope it doesn't discourage people from offering to feed us!
Want to cut back your meat intake? Check out my vegetarian recipe archive. Even having one meatless night a week has a lot of benefits! See http://www.meatlessmonday.com/

6 comments:

Lindsay said...

You amaze me. I had the goal early this year to try more varieties of vegetable and learn to like them by finding better ways to cook them. But then pregnancy crumminess got in the way and it didn't happen. Maybe I'll try again soon. I'm not interested in vegetarianism, but I would like to get more veggies in my diet.

Erin Bigler said...

Our costco here started stocking quinoa in bulk. Maybe you could find it there too? We are not vegetarians but RARELY eat meat. It is pure coincidence, though I too LOVE tofu and use it a few times a week. It's delicious in chili. Way to stick to your guns, Em. Happy flesh-free anniversary!

Anonymous said...

I thought you would be happy to know I sent the link for your recipe blog to yet another friend because a lot of people I know here in Logan can not stop eating those lentil tacos. I think I need to make those again soon...

The Jungle Explorer said...

I always enjoy getting the question about not getting enough protein;) People eat way too much of it as it is. Just wait until you have little kids. Then you get concerned people asking questions about their health. I always ask myself afterwards, "Have you seen my kids? They could give Pillsbury Dough Boy a run for his money."

Laura Barnett said...

I'm playing catch up on your blog, and how exciting to have 4 posts to read! (sad that it's been that long since I've checked though. I'm always behind on my blog reading!) This post was a good idea. I'm sure you get asked this SO much. Have fun hosting Thanksgiving! We'll be in Vegas with my sister making Thanksgiving dinner with her (her husband leaves for iraq the week before). It'll be a fun getaway.

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

Congratulations on your anniversary! Go flexitarians! Think I may have once said something snotty about tofu (sorry). Honestly, my only issue with tofu is its low sugar content. I feel the same way about the sugar-free-cinnamon-roll-flavored Jello I bought last night (of course I didn't realize it was sugar free when I bought it). Still thinking the silken tofu in the cheese thing is great! Mainly because the cheese has lactose, a sugar.

Missing sampling all of your yummy vegetarian lunches. Missing that only 1% of how much I'm missing you. Just thought of a dorky Twilight parallel with vegetarianism which made me think of the New Moon movie and miss you even more...