Thursday, August 20, 2009

A Social Worker Again

I am a social worker at a community health clinic working with low-income pregnant women. I enjoy my job but most of the time I feel more like a nurse than a social worker. In fact, I frequently have to remind my clients that I'm not a nurse. I sit down with women and tell them what to expect during each month of their pregnancy. I tell them how to relieve all those pregnancy aches and pains. I schedule their appointments and refer them to the dentist in their second trimester. I visit them in the hospital when they deliver (which is my favorite part of the job). Now don't get me wrong, there is a social work component as well--I assess what the girls need and make referrals. I make sure they have enough food, appropriate housing, baby supplies, etc. I talk to my girls on the phone when they are panicked about something and I calm them down. But mostly I feel like a nurse.

Today was different. I got a call from one of my moms who just gave birth. Her baby was placed in foster care and she was upset and needed someone to talk to. I went to her house right away, listened to her woes, gave comfort and encouragement. I helped her make a plan of what to do and gave her advice as a former CPS worker. It was a rush. When I left the visit, the nurse I was with was super overwhelmed--I was dancing around. "I'm a social worker again! I'm a social worker again!" It reminded me that I love being a social worker. I love being there at times of crisis and working with people to help make things better. It reminded me that I love to get involved in situations a lot of people want to stay out of. I remembered I'm a social worker and not some pseudo-nurse. Today was exactally what I needed to remind me of my skills and made me commit to being a little more social worky and a little less nursey with my clients. Today I am recommiting myself to be a "super social worker" (as Niki would call it). I can't wait.

5 comments:

Laura Barnett said...

yea! I'm glad you get to do something you love. It sounds like you do it well too!

Lindsay said...

You're really making me wish you were my neighbor in Brooklyn. The end of this pregnancy is killing me, and it'd sure be awesome to have you around to chat with. :) (Though, I suppose I shouldn't complain...after all is said and done, I get to keep my baby, and that will make everything worth it. I don't know how women do it who have to give their babies up for whatever reason.)

Emily said...

Lindsay--I wish I was your neighbor too! Though maybe not in Brooklyn. The Media Play shopping cart prophesy needs to be fulfilled--I also need a baby for that to work too...

mrs. farlanderz said...

I don't mean for this to sound cheesy but it will -you really amaze me.

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

I completely understand!! I'm glad you had that reminder and that you have found a new joyous aspect of your job.