Sunday, March 29, 2009

Recipe Post

Sometimes I get so excited about a recipe I can't wait until a new month to post it. I got this recipe for granola bars from Jenny in my ward who taught a class yesterday on food storage. We were able to sample some recipes that were made from food storage items. I made these granola bars for the class and then made another batch tonight--I highly recommend these. They taste like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies but I feel better about eating them because they're labeled "granola bars." It's gotta be healthy, right?

Granola Bars
  • 2 cups oats
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • Mix-ins like chocolate chips, dried fruit, nuts, etc. I used 1 cup chocolate chips, 1 cup coconut, 1/2 c. sunflower seeds, and 1/4 c. wheat germ.
Mix all the ingredients and press into greased 11x13 pan. Dough will be very dry and crumbly, but press until dough forms with pan. Bake at 325 for 15-20 minutes or until edges are browned. Take out and let cool entirely. Hint: Cut the granola bars before they are completely cool. They get stiffer as they cool and harder to cut! I made this mistake the first time and was trying the chisel the granola bars into strips.

These are what mine looked like (I know, I have no future in food photography, but you get the idea).



In case you didn't know, I have a recipe blog. Click here to join the fun! FYI--My lentil tacos recipe has been a big hit with the girls at church. I made it for a class I taught on meatless meals and I have had numerous people come up to me and tell me that they made them for their families and that they were delicious! I was so happy!

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

I can't wait to try these!

Jenny said...

So, when I tried your granola bars that you made, I kept thinking that they tasted a little different than mine. Just now I figured out why...I forgot to tell you that I use a lot less sugar than the recipe calls for. I use about 1/4 c. - 1/3 c. I forgot to tell you that when I sent over the recipe. They are good either way, but I felt better about it having less sugar. You can try it out if you want and see what you think. The honey and sugar was just too sweet for me to eat a complete granola bar. Anyway, your bars were delicious ya know...but I have cut down the sugar quite a bit. Oops, forgot to pass that along to begin with.:)