Soon after my last blog post, we got a long awaited call from Child Protective Services (it just hit me that most people would not be excited by a call from them...). We were asked to take placement of a two month old baby girl. Although we only had her for three weeks--we fell absolutely in love with her and had a wonderful time playing full-time parents for the first time. The weeks went by after our first little girl went to live with her grandparents. I kept my phone on me at all times--just waiting for a call with another placement. On Friday I couldn't take it anymore. I could no longer resist the urge to call CPS to make sure they knew we had an opening. The result of my call? Three hours later they asked us to come pick up a three day old baby girl from the hospital.
Picking her up Friday night was quite the experience. They had apparently had some problems with the baby's mother wreaking havoc because she wasn't taking her baby home (really, who could blame her?). In preperation for us to come pick her up, they hid (yes, hid) the baby in another part of the hospital. We were escorted by security to get the baby--they even had code names for us on their walkie talkies ("the guardian angels"). When it was time to get to our car we had not one, but two security guards plus a nurse take us to the parking lot. It was pretty intense.
But now she is here. We affectionately call her "the gremlin." Because, really, newborns, look a little wrinkly and disproportionate at first. But she is beautiful. And she doesn't like to sleep at night. And we think she is wonderful.
Although I'd love to, I can't give details about the baby or post pictures (confidentiality stuff, you know). But I will tell you this--I love being a mother. Even if it is just temporary. It all just makes us more anxious to have one of our own. We decided to start working with an additional adoption agency in Spokane--one that has much shorter wait times than our current agency. But I really think we will continue to foster after we adopt.
So, if you're ever wondering what I'm doing--I'm most likely changing a diaper, making a bottle, or holding a sleeping baby. And I'm in heaven. Except for the no sleep part.
11 comments:
Emily that's great news! I'm glad you made that phone call! Good luck sleeping at night (and during the day)!
Hurray! I'm so happy for you. I agree, motherhood is tremendous and amazing--even when temporary. And don't worry, the baby will either start sleeping or you'll get used to it. I promise. :)
wow emily. that is awesome news. i am so happy for you guys. so exciting! good luck catching some zzz's.
Em - that is fantastic! Hug and squeeze that little gremlin all you can! please keep posting, you inspire me and I am sure many others everytime you do.
I'm so glad that you are having such a great time as foster parents. It is such an important and selfless thing to do. A family in our ward was just sealed to their two foster then adoptive children this weekend. Good luck!
Wow Emily. You are truly amazing.
Oh that just makes me so happy! That is fantastic!
I'm so happy the foster parenting is working out for you. And just remember that you'll have plenty of nights to sleep in the future, so just hold that sweet baby and remember every detail of the nights you spend together.
This post brought tears to my eyes. I just love your ending "if you are wondering what I am doing... :)
So sweet! I have to say, I am always so moved by your posts. Ben and I have be in the midst of our own challenge with infertility, miscarriage and so on when it comes to babies and I have found so much strength in reading about your and Kameron's journey to parenthood. Thank you so much!
So great! I'm so glad that you are enjoying it. Those girls are blessed to have you and feel of the spirit in your home- even if it is for such a short time. Love ya!
Hooray! I'm so happy for you!
Post a Comment