Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Boys and Cookies

Last week I was in a rush trying to get dinner ready in time to teach a class on cooking with beans in my old ward.  Inevitably, as I was taking out the Morning Star Chik'n Nuggets (we were going gourmet) out of the oven and was trying to do something else simultaneously, I burned my arm, right above my elbow, on the cookie sheet.  It was only a split second of contact but the resulting burn was huge!

I went to work the next day with a ginormous band-aid over my burn.  A very interesting thing happened.  If a female co-worker asked what happened and I told her I burned my arm on a cookie sheet she would say something nice like, "oh, I'm sorry"  or "that looks like it hurts!".

On the other hand, if a male co-worker asked me what happened I would invariably get one of the following responses:

"A cookie sheet?  What kind of cookies did you make?"
"A cookie sheet?  Why didn't you bring in any cookies?"

After I explained that the cookie sheet was not holding cookies, all interest in my burn went away.  Boys and cookies.  That's all I have to say.

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

Since I am a girl...I'm so sorry!

But, all burns aside, this is pretty funny. :)

The Jungle Explorer said...

I'm a girl, but I still might ask about the cookies. Who doesn't want cookies? But, maybe I'd say that I was so sorry first.

We're headed out to Spokane on Friday for a week, so I might look you up. Wanna do lunch?