
Confession: I have a really loud voice. Especially when I am on the phone. I have been teased endlessly by co-workers who state they can hear my conversations from across the office. Kameron states that when I talk on the phone that there is nowhere he can go in the house where he can’t hear me. I take no offense and make no excuses—I know they are right.
I’ve tried to keep my voice down. When I worked in St. Louis I had a sticky note on my phone with an arrow pointing down to remind me to lower my voice. It worked if I remembered to look at it.
At my Spokane job, I forgot all about my problem until I walked into my office last week where my office-mate taped a sign above my computer that said:
INSIDE
VOICE
EMILY
We laughed about it. “Oh yea,” I apologized, “I forgot about that.”
Why the loud voice? I've thought maybe I want to sound more confident or that I don't trust the quality of a phone connection. I'm not sure, but I'm thinking it may also have something to do with genes. Sometimes, when talking to my family members, I step back and realize we are all practically yelling...maybe through natural selection we survived because of our loud voices. I'm not sure. And I'm not sure why I'm blogging about it. Probably because I constantly see my "inside voice Emily" sign. It may be finally sinking in...
No comments:
Post a Comment