
I loved General Conference this weekend. Kameron and I sat on the bed in our spare bedroom and watched our church leaders speak to us on a tiny little screen on our laptop. The messages are always so uplifting and motivate me to be better. There is always a talk that really speaks to me and tells me what I need to hear--this conference it was Elder Stephen E. Snow's talk about facing new challenges in life.
I was really inspired by the story of Robert Gardner who came with his family by handcart to Utah. He and his family suffered many hardships and just when his family was back on their feet, he was asked to move his family to southern Utah to grow cotton. He recorded his reaction to this news in his journal, "I looked and spit and took off my hat and scratched my head and thought and said, 'all right'." I love this. (To hear the whole talk, click here. It's in the Sunday AM session.).
This message is timely for me in a number of ways. I've been very comfortable staying at home the past three months, generally knowing what to expect every day--but all this is about to end. I am starting a new job tomorrow, which is always nerve racking and is a time for much adjustment. Kameron and I are looking to buy a house soon and we have also started the process of getting approved to be adoptive parents. All of these events are exciting, but also a little intimidating and full of the unknown. I love the attitude of spitting (yes, I must spit), scratching my head, saying "all right," and facing the challenge head on. I also know that the Lord is aware of my challenges and new experiences and is eager to help and guide me if I allow Him to. He will do the same for you--I promise.
4 comments:
New things are always hard! Good luck with all of your endeavors! :)
I wonder why change is always so hard, it's just something different. Good luck on all the new things coming up. I'm sure you'll excel at all three.
I enjoyed that talk too! So, how did your first day of work go?
You do have a lot of big things on your plate, but you can do it! I know you can!
Post a Comment