Tuesday, December 9, 2008

What Doesn't Kill You...


So Kam is officially gallbladder-less. We took him to the emergency room on Saturday, it was removed on Sunday, and I picked him up yesterday and brought him home. He is feeling great and hopes to return to his internship tomorrow.

Kam is no stranger to surgery. We have only been married six years and he has already had three surgeries--all completely unrelated. He has had countless other surgeries and injuries before we were married. I'll spare you the details of each surgery, but know that this is a man with many scars.

I was thinking on the way to the hospital yesterday that the things we go through together just make us stronger as a couple. His hospital stays are definitely not the most difficult things we have been through, but they increase our history together and bind us together even more. Through all the times I've been in the hospital for hours, waiting for his surgeries, and sitting by his hospital bed, I know that trust deepens betwen us that we will be there for each other no matter what. So am I saying that I am greatful for his hospital stays? I guess in a way I am (not that I am hoping for any more). But I know we'll continue to have our share of strengthening experiences.

I hope you are not too grossed out by the picture of Kam's tummy. I think the picture is hillarious because Kam is a pretty hairy guy but his stomach was shaved for his surgery--but only half way. You can also see where the doctor marked "yes" on his stomach to show where they were going to perform surgery (is there another gallbladder somewhere in his body?).

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

Wow. Well, at least it's over, right? And I completely agree...what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Like most married couples, Blake and I have also seen our way through several serious storms, but we've survived, and we've come out the better for it. The tough times definitely have a way of bringing you closer.

Katie said...

I love the "yes"... Let's make sure we take out the right gallbladder! Glad he's feeling better!

Hippi Chicki Niki said...

doctors.nurses have been known to mix up surgery patients and perform the wrong surgery on the wrong person. i'm glad your hospital has thought of a way to be sure that, the right surgeries get done.