
So this weekend I went to Time Out For Women--a conference for LDS women sponsored by Deseret Book. I'm not usually into this kind of thing but when I saw that the theme of the conference was, "Joyful Life," I decided to go. Not that this will be a surprise to any of you, but life can be full of stress and disappointments. Who doesn't want to have more joy? So I paid my $50 and went--not really knowing what to expect. I actually enjoyed Time Out for Women for the most part. There were some great music presentations by Michael McLean, Cherie Call, and Hillary Weeks. The speakers were also really good. Some of the messages I really needed to hear-- especially the ones about trusting God and striving to be happy even when your life isn't going according to plan. There also was a fair amount of emotional manipulation, or "cheese". For example, Michael McLean was making everyone laugh or cry at his will (we were all in the palm of his hand) and at the end he even had everyone hold hands and sing "we can be together forever someday"--I didn't play into that one--it was a little much. It was also fun to ride up to the conference in a big van with some ladies from my ward--I didn't know any of them very well but they were all so welcoming and fun to be around--a great weekend over all! I probably won't go again next year--but maybe the year after that. Also, bonus, I got a really cute Time Out For Women tote bag!
Well, hopefully all that spirituality will stay with me because they cancelled church today! In my whole life in Utah, church was never cancelled. In the two years we have been in St. Louis, church has been cancelled twice due to weather issues. St. Louis is getting some storms from Hurricane Ike. It was raining pretty hard last night and apparently all around our church is flooded and a lot of the roads that people would take to church are flooded and closed. Around my apartment everything looks fine...oh, well. I'll enjoy spending time at home with Kameron (eventhough he is out right now doing his home teaching--he knows how to make the most out of the break!)
2 comments:
Even though I've had a few opportunities, I've never gone to a Time Out For Women. I guess I'm scared away from them because of all that "cheese." :) But I'm glad you got to go and that you had a good time! (Also? Score with the tote bag.)
em - you always did have great taste in music - you know who else I think you might really like - Meaghan Smith - I just started listening to her stuff and its fantastic - google her and let me know what you think! -
Post a Comment