Sunday, August 10, 2008

Why I Love Primary


Every Sunday, for about the past four years, I have gone to Primary (for those of you who are not LDS, Primary is Sunday school for the children in my church). It all started when Kameron and I were called as nursery leaders; then, in our next ward, I was called as a Primary teacher. When we moved to St. Louis, I was called to be a Primary teacher again, then the second counselor in the Primary presidency and then the first counselor in the Primary presidency. Although Primary is a calling that a lot of people groan about (when I tell people what my calling is, they usually reply, "Oh, I'm sorry"), I happen to love being in Primary. Here are a few reasons why:

  • Primary has the best songs in the church. Not only do I get to sing songs like, "Book of Mormon Stories" and "Follow the Prophet," I also get to sing "Once there was a Snowman" and "Popcorn Popping on the Apriocot Tree"--I also get to do the actions.
  • Snack time (when you're in nursery)
  • The awesome things the kids say. Sometimes the children say very insightful things, and sometimes they say hilarious things. My favorite thing a child said in Primary goes something like this: A member of the bishopric was in Primary talking to the children about faith. He was comparing how we don't see God but we believe in Him but how we also don't see unicorns, but we know that they are not real (I know it sounds wierd but it made sense at the time). A little three year old, Kelly, shot up her hand and excitedly called out, "sometimes unicorns get stuck in trees!" It was totally random and totally awesome.
  • The constant nostalgia of my own childhood.
  • I love the simplicity of the gospel in Primary. Much of what we teach centers on how we are children of God and how He loves us. We also talk a lot about "choosing the right". Really, I believe that if we remembered who we are and did what we knew was right, the rest would fall into place.

So, please save your sympathies, I am definitely a Primary fan.

3 comments:

Lindsay said...

I have to admit, being called, along with Blake, as the nursery leaders two weeks after we moved to Brooklyn (so after a year, I still don't know very many people in the ward) and having to fulfill the calling with our teeny tiny baby sort of put a sour taste in my mouth. However, I've since learned to love it. Well...I love the children. The calling is probably one of the hardest things I've ever done in the church, mostly because we don't seem to get much active support from the bishopric (which is why I've been without assistants while the entire infant population in the ward turns 18 months old and joins us in our ever-crowding little room). I'm learning to deal with it, though, and as my attitude's changed, my love for the calling has, too. (And it certainly doesn't hurt that today for the very first time I got to use the brand spanking new, super awesome nursery manual...seriously...that book's my new favorite.)

Ahenobarbus Textor said...

Awesome! I didn't know unicorns could get stuck in trees. All I know is that sometimes they go to candy mountain.

Laura Barnett said...

Amen! I love being in primary too. Don't get me wrong- I really miss Relief Society, but our 5 year old class is so awesome! They say the funniest things sometimes. (one day I'll have to dedicate a post to our primary experiences.) Plus it reminds me how simple the gospel is. I still always feel spiritually uplifted.