It is 1:25 p.m. My favorite time of the day. Both kids are asleep. That's right--both. I still have my sweet little two month old baby girl, and two weeks ago we got a new addition--a firecracker two year old boy. Let's just say life is a little different than it was three weeks ago.
Having a toddler who talks non-stop as a foster child has been quite a different experience. He's old enough to verbalize some of his feelings but too young to really understand what is happening--why he is at our house and why he hasn't seen his mother in two weeks. On the first day at our house he asked for his mother about every two minutes. He wasn't throwing fits or tantrums, he just a simply asked where she was. All I could answer was, "I don't know where she is. She needs me and Kameron to take care of you for a while." I woke up in the middle of the first night to him crying for his mommy.
As the days have gone on he asks about her less and less. He tells me a few times a day that he misses his mommy and that he likes his mommy. He then proceeds to tell me he misses his Santa Claus too. There are so many emotions that go through me with this little boy. On the one hand I have a little boy who loves his mommy and wants to be with her. I want her to clean up her very messed-up act and be there for her son. On the other hand, I have this sweet little boy with incredible potential. He is very bright, very polite, and one of the happiest children I have ever met. I want to keep him.
People ask me a lot if I know if we can adopt any of our foster children yet. I don't mind answering because most people who ask are very sincere. I tell people over and over that I don't know yet. That it is way too early to tell for each of them. And yes, it will be very difficult when they leave. I don't really like to think about it.
One more thing. To all you moms with small children: my respect for you has gone up 150% Holy cow! Taking care of two little kids is HARD. But what an amazing work it is.
5 comments:
Amen! Ain't nothin' better. I'm so happy things have worked out well for your family.
Yes, raising two small children is hard. But I think you've got a few more challenges than most, especially with the older one, because you didn't have them from birth and you don't know them as well as you would have if you had. It sounds like you're doing a great job, though! It makes me so happy to see you this happy. :)
Yes it is! But usually you get eased into motherhood. You've gone from zero to two in a matter of weeks! What you're doing is much harder! So I have all the more admiration for what you are doing for these sweet kids. They're so lucky to be in your home. :)
Oh Emily! How amazing and brave you are to jump in with both feet! I work with kids who are wards of the state at a hospital/care facility, and every time I work on the pediatric unit, I come home and cry. The world needs more people like you and Kam!
I loved this update!
Post a Comment